So, I got these two asks pretty much back to back, and they both kind of boil down to the same thing (although on two sides of the fence). So I’m going to try to answer both of them at once.
And I’m going to use Pride and Prejudice as an example, for reasons.
If Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy had gotten together at that first ball, Pride and Prejudice would be a really short story and probably would never have been printed, let alone considered one of the greatest love stories ever written.
And if Elizabeth had gotten together with Wickham, back when he looked like a pretty damn good option, well… then it would have been the story of a girl who met a guy who acted like a dick, then met another guy who looked perfect for her, and that was it. The End. Also boring.
If, halfway through the novel, when Darcy proposed to Elizabeth, she’d shrugged and went “Oh, well, you’re rich and you say you love me, yeah, sure I’ll marry you…” not only would she have been out of character but it would have cheated both characters out of the chance to grow and change. And we probably would have thrown the book at the wall and whined because THAT’S TOO EASY.
Instead we have these two flawed characters who meet and part and meet and part, and as they go through this crazy dance of life, things happen to them. Secrets are revealed. Hearts are broken and mended, tragedies occur, and families are torn apart and pieced back together.
And what you get, in the end, is not just the story of two people who fell in love, but the entire foundation upon which that love is built. You have two whole characters who become better people for having known each other, and a future that is brighter for all the darkness that’s behind it.
THAT is how you tell an epic love story.
Everything that I have seen on this show (and I have another post that hopefully will explain better how I even WATCH this show, which may possibly be relevant to all of this), tells me that the writers are going for the long story. The hard journey. Where people meet and part and meet again.
Snow and Charming did not just meet, fall in love, and have a baby. They fought, they were on different sides. There was heartache and darkness and brushes with death. Because we’ve seen their story (BACKWARDS) it’s easier for us to appreciate how amazing they are together, and what a great team they really make.
I’m watching this show from a multi-dimensional perspective. I don’t watch it with shipping goggles on. I take those off and leave them aside because I don’t want to miss anything. I try to only put them on later when I want to watch videos and read fanfics.
I watch this show the way Sherlock looks at a crime scene, and it’s only after I’ve looked at all the evidence and dissected lines and scenes and parallels and choices that I come to my conclusions.
I do not think that we should discount Neal and Emma’s past. It will come up again. We may not like it when it does. I don’t know yet what story the writers have in mind for Neal and Emma. But the fact that they have given us so much of them together actually makes me think that it’s inevitable that they will part.
And I think that getting our hopes up for a quick turnaround on the Emma/Hook front would be silly, not to mention cheating both characters out of the opportunity to grow.
The fact that they HAVEN’T given us Hook/Emma this soon is PART of what makes me think that they have the long overarching storyline in mind for them. They are Elizabeth and Darcy (not literally, just as an example), and their path will be long and hard and fraught with difficulties. Other people may come and go in their lives, but the paths that they are on, I believe, will lead ultimately to one another. And it will be an AMAZING story, equal to or even better than Snow and Charming’s.
And if I’m wrong about that, well … then I’m okay with being wrong about it, because I love plot twists. (So long as neither Hook or Emma die. Because that might make me stop watching.)
So while everyone else is off throwing things and having a tantrum and wailing and freaking out because of one line in one episode, I’m not. And while everyone else is sitting there wishing for Emma and Hook to board the Jolly Roger in the finale and support each other and be there for each other and have a moment … I’m not.
It’s too soon.
I’m not in it for the destination. I’m in it for the journey.
Because to love will be an awfully big adventure.
107 Notes/ Hide
- believeinthepirate likes this
- marajade4s likes this
- ciulia96 reblogged this from madlymel
- ciulia96 likes this
- manaradeladel likes this
- bambiegaze likes this
- missstarlight08 reblogged this from capitaine-cygne
- missstarlight08 likes this
- captainswan4life likes this
- lovelygreen-neverland likes this
- capitaine-cygne reblogged this from madlymel and added:
- blondie1128 likes this
- shutupplz likes this
- daniryen likes this
- lumadreamland likes this
- itsactuallycorrine reblogged this from madlymel
- ladymagdalene likes this
- auroraswan reblogged this from madlymel
- auroraswan likes this
- jilldragomir reblogged this from madlymel
- jilldragomir likes this
- a-cat-named-ghoti likes this
- sleepmybeauty reblogged this from madlymel
- sleepmybeauty likes this
- keepcalmwearetimeless reblogged this from madlymel
- keepcalmwearetimeless likes this
- winterfoxdarling reblogged this from madlymel
- winterfoxdarling likes this
- 00826 likes this
- oyster-and-pearl likes this
- maia5973 likes this
- notorious-crime-god likes this
- yotb0ka likes this
- carmi-believes-in-love reblogged this from madlymel
- killianthehero reblogged this from itsalostgirlthing
- killianthehero likes this
- itsalostgirlthing reblogged this from madlymel
- itsalostgirlthing likes this
- jujutherubberduckie reblogged this from buttercupsandhooks
- carmi-believes-in-love likes this
- a-strangers-love reblogged this from madlymel
- klutzybear likes this
- cheshire--illusionist likes this
- summerinb reblogged this from onceuponamirror
- mothermckarther likes this
- iseethelightcs reblogged this from madlymel
- lunalove25 reblogged this from madlymel and added:
- lunalove25 likes this
- awritersmind likes this